Learning how to vape correctly might seem like a no-brainer – after all, how complicated could it be to breathe in fluffy clouds of vapor?
But if you’re new to vaping, figuring out the correct method for inhaling vapor might be a little trickier. And when it comes to making the most of your vape experience, it’s all in the proper technique.
Look at it this way: you wouldn’t buy a luxury sports car and never learn how to drive a stick shift, would you? Not only would you run the risk of damaging your prized possession, but the actual driving experience wouldn’t be much fun. The same concept applies to vaping and learning how to inhale correctly.
Here at DIRECTVAPOR, we’re all about helping fellow vape enthusiasts perfect the art of vaping. So, we’ve put together a condensed guide that gives you a step-by-step explanation of how to inhale on a vape device the right way.
We’ll be covering:
- How to inhale a vape correctly
- Different inhalation techniques and the vape devices that match each
- Why your vape device and e-liquid do matter
So, grab your vape if you have one, and get ready to level up your vaping skill!
How to Vape
Before we jump right into how to inhale a vape properly, let’s make sure we have the basics down first.
How does a vape work?
Understanding how a vape device works is essential for learning how to start vaping. There are several different types of vapes, but they generally all share the same basic components:
- A battery that serves as the device’s power source
- A heating element (coil) that warms your e-liquid to vaporization temperature
- An atomizer where the e-liquid is stored
- A mouthpiece that you use to inhale the vapor
You can shop for a vape starter kit, which has all the components you need, or purchase items a la carte. If you’re relatively new to vaping, we recommend a starter kit. It’s the easiest way to ensure you have all the required pieces and get the best bang for your buck.
Types of vapes
There’s no shortage of options when you’re buying a new vape, and there are devices to suit every preference, experience level, and price point. Most vape types have names that provide a pretty clear indication of their defining characteristics, but let’s look at the most common options out there.
- Box mods: With a box-like shape and a name that is a nod to the tradition of modifying your vape device, the box mod is a popular option for seasoned vapers that enjoy having a wealth of customization settings.
- Vape pens: Compact and convenient, a vape pen is easily one of the most popular options across all vape styles and experience levels.
- Pod vapes: The pod-style vapes use prefilled or refillable pods of e-liquid paired with an energy source for an easy and enjoyable experience.
- E-cigarettes: The most basic vape type, the classic e-cig, has been around for quite some time.
Since the debut of the first e-cig, vapes have come a long way in terms of technology, power, and features. You can control everything from wattage to temperature or opt for a super-simple model that requires zero effort.
Usually, the vape device’s power level (low, medium, and high) dictates the ideal level of experience a vaper should have to use it. There’s no reason that a beginner vaper can’t invest the time and effort into learning how to use a more complex vape. Also, there is an inevitable overlap among the device types and categories.
Choosing the best vape for you
So, if this is a guide to vape inhalation technique, why do all the above details matter? How you inhale can vary somewhat based on the device you’re using. What’s more, selecting a vape you love requires you to understand your preferred style and inhalation technique (more on that in a bit).
Hopefully, you already have a vape you enjoy or are preparing to hunt down your perfect match. Learning how to use a vape will be just as enjoyable as you would hope.
How to Inhale On a Vape
Now, it’s time to get down to it: let’s talk about inhaling correctly.
There are two different methods for inhaling a vape:
- Mouth-to-lung (MTL)
- Direct-to-lung (DTL)
One isn’t “better” than the other; they’re simply different.
Usually, MTL vaping is suggested for smaller vapes that use high-resistance coils, specifically when you’ve chosen a high-nicotine e-liquid. This style produces a lower level of vapor and a hit that feels similar to traditional smoking. For former cigarette smokers, this is a significant perk of MTL vaping.
When you use the MTL method, it should almost feel like trying to suck air through a tiny coffee straw – in a good way.
- First, slowly inhale the vapor into your mouth (do it slowly enough that it takes a few seconds to get a mouthful).
- Then, hold your mouth closed and keep the vapor in for 1-2 seconds.
- Open your mouth and deeply breathe (don’t “swallow”) the vapor so that it goes down to your lungs.
- After the vapor hits your lungs, slowly exhale.
DTL vaping is typically best used with large vapes with low-resistance coils and when you’re vaping a lower-nicotine e-liquid. If MTL vaping is like sucking through a coffee stirrer, then DTL vaping swaps that out for a large milkshake straw. You can expect a generous amount of vapor with a smooth, easy effect that doesn’t have any “burn.”
- Quickly inhale vapor directly into your lungs without pausing to hold it in your mouth.
- Almost immediately, exhale the vapor.
MTL vs. DTL vaping: Which one is right for you?
Still not sure how to choose between MTL and DTL vaping? One of the best rules of thumb is to let your nicotine content dictate your vape style.
High nicotine juices (12-60mg) are best suited for the MTL technique, whereas low nicotine juices (0-6mg) are ideal for direct-to-lung inhales. If your nicotine level falls somewhere in the middle (6-12mg), you can try both and see which one you prefer.
Are short drags or long drags better?
Another aspect of learning inhalation techniques is debating between short and long drags. This topic is discussed often, and the answer has plenty to do with your preferences. However, it can be helpful to know the essential characteristics of each to determine which one you’ll most likely enjoy.
- Short drags are the most similar to the sensation of smoking a traditional cigarette and will deliver a quick burst of nicotine to your system. The downside is that some vapers find it unsatisfying since this style doesn’t allow much e-liquid to contact the heating coil.
- Longer drags, running about 3-5 seconds, tend to be the most popular choice. This approach gives you fantastic flavor, big vapor clouds, and an overall satisfying experience.
Get Your New Vape Set-Up from DIRECTVAPOR
Now that you know how to inhale with a vape, you’re ready to become a vaper! But first, make sure you have a quality set-up to work with, including an excellent vape device and first-class e-juice.
DIRECTVAPOR is the premier online vape retailer for new and experienced vapers alike, offering an array of vape devices, e-liquids, and anything else you could need. And with the best prices in the business, a flexible return policy, and product warranties, we’ll always beat out the competition.
Check out our full selection of vape devices to find yours now!
Image Credit: Olga Vasilyeva