As vaping becomes increasingly popular, more beginning vapers are working on mastering the basics. And even though learning how to inhale correctly seems like something that would be a no-brainer, when it comes to vaping, it is actually a bit more complicated than you might think.
How to Inhale on a Vape
For vaping first-timers, properly inhaling makes a world of difference in the quality of the vape experience. Do it wrong, and you can end up in a coughing fit or with an unpleasantly intense nicotine rush. But do it correctly, and you can discover exactly why so many people have made vaping one of their favorite hobbies.
There are two basic inhalation techniques for vaping: direct-to-lung and mouth-to-lung. Depending on the type of vape you’re using and the experience you’re hoping to achieve, one or the other will be right for you.
Mouth-to-lung, or MTL, is an inhalation technique most often compared to traditional cigarette smoking. It’s a simple technique that just about anyone can master and is usually recommended for smaller vape devices with high-resistance coils and high-nicotine e-liquids.
How Does Mouth-to-Lung Vaping Work?
So, exactly how do you MTL vape? It’s a pretty easy method that’s ideal for beginners:
- First, slowly draw vapor into your mouth, taking a few seconds to complete the full inhalation.
- Then, keep your mouth closed to hold onto the vapor for one to two seconds.
- Open your mouth and deeply breathe the vapor into your lungs. (Inhale it, don’t “swallow” it.)
- After the vapor hits your lungs, slowly exhale.
What Does Mouth-to-Lung Vaping Feel Like?
An MTL inhalation feels like attempting to suck air through a tiny coffee straw. The method produces a lower level of vapor and an enjoyably intense throat hit.
Who Should Use Mouth-to-Lung Vaping?
As mentioned, MTL vaping is suggested for anyone using a small, high-resistance vape and a high-nicotine e-liquid. But generally, MTL vaping style is an excellent fit for anyone attempting to transition from smoking to vaping. Because this method creates a throat hit that is very similar to a cigarette, it’s a highly satisfying experience for former smokers.
Direct-to-lung, or DTL, is a method preferred for larger vape devices, low-resistance coils, and low-nicotine e-liquids. Vapers that enjoy DTL-style vaping often describe it as the best option for an enjoyably smooth vaping experience.
How Does Direct-to-Lung Vaping Work?
If you’re new to vaping, you’re probably wondering: how do you DTL vape? Even though MTL vaping is considered extremely simple, DTL-style might be even easier:
- Quickly inhale the vapor directly into the lungs without pausing to hold any vapor in your mouth.
- Exhale vapor naturally, almost immediately after you finish the inhale.
What Does Direct-to-Lung Vaping Feel Like?
DTL vaping feels like inhaling air through a large milkshake or smoothie straw.
Who Should Use Direct-to-Lung Vaping?
Direct-to-lung vape style is generally recommended for anyone using a large vape device with low-resistance coils, especially individuals that opt for lower-nicotine e-liquids. It creates a generous amount of vapor, so it’s often the method of choice for vapers that like “cloud chasing.”
DTL vs. MTL vaping: How to Choose
So, how do you choose between DTL and MTL vaping? Sometimes, vapers are confused about which one works best for them – especially if they’re working with a vape with adjustable airflow.
A good rule of thumb is to make your decision based on the nicotine content of your e-juice. High nicotine levels (12 to 60 mg) are better suited for MTL vaping, while lower nicotine levels (0 to 6 mg) are ideally matched with DTL vaping. E-liquids with moderate nicotine levels (6 to 12 mg) can go either way, depending on your preference.
How to Vape: Other Vaping Basics
So, now you know more about how to vape correctly. However, there are some other important things to learn before you get started. Here’s a quick breakdown of the types of vape devices and e-liquids you’ll want to consider.
Types of Vapes
When you’re shopping for your first vape, you’ll first realize that there are a ton of options. It can be overwhelming to sift through all the different vape types out there, but here’s a handy breakdown that can help.
- Disposables are vape devices designed to be used and disposed of once the battery or e-liquid runs out.
- Disposable vapes are not refillable or rechargeable.
- Most disposables look and perform similarly to a traditional cigarette.
- Disposables can be an easy and affordable option for new vapers.
- Pen-style vapes have a slim, lightweight design that mimics a pen – hence the name.
- Vape pens are ideal for taking on the go or for any vaper that wants a basic, easy-to-operate device that still provides quality performance.
- Most vape pens are budget-friendly, averaging between $20 and $30 (depending on the brand and features).
- Vape pens can be refilled, recharged, and reused multiple times.
- Pod vapes rely on pre-filled or refillable pods that contain e-liquid.
- They are often described as delivering an extremely comparable experience to a classic tobacco cigarette.
- Like vape pens, vape pods are conveniently lightweight and compact.
- There are many different designs of pod vapes, with price points varying considerably.
- The biggest advantage of a pod vape is not needing to carry bottles of e-liquid for on-the-go vaping (because the pod contains the liquid).
- Mods (also called box mods) are ideal for more advanced vapers, though beginners can certainly learn to use them with a little practice.
- Box mods typically offer various features, including options to customize airflow, temperature, and more.
- You also have the option to swap out coils or tanks to further tailor your vaping experience, and box mods make it possible to try a specific style known as “sub-ohm vaping.”
Types of e-liquids
Once you pick your vape device, you’ll still have another decision to make: what kind of e-liquid is best for you? Luckily, you aren’t exactly short on options, and experimenting with different e-liquid types can be one of the most fun aspects of vaping.
E-liquids can be categorized according to different characteristics, including:
- Nicotine content
- PG vs. VG (two key ingredients in e-liquid)
- Type (nicotine salts, freebase, synthetic nicotine, and more)
There isn’t necessarily one type of e-liquid that is best because, ultimately, it will come down to whatever you enjoy most.
Get the Most Out of Vaping with DIRECTVAPOR
So you’re finally ready to take the plunge and try vaping – but where can you buy vapes online? You’ll find plenty of options, but none can compare to DIRECTVAPOR.
As one of the industry’s largest and most respected online vape retailers, DIRECTVAPOR has built a business dedicated to quality, customer service, and innovation. We’ve curated an incredible selection of the best brands and products, so you can get everything you need from a single reputable source. You won’t find any knockoffs or cheaply-made products here, and we’re one of the only online vape stores that offer a low-price guarantee, 60-day warranty, and 15-day returns.
New and seasoned vapers trust DIRECTVAPOR to deliver the very best in vapes, e-liquids, and accessories, and you can be confident that you’ll be happy with whatever you order. Check out our full selection of vapes for sale online to find your new device now!
Photo credit: Realstock